7 Common Myths Surrounding Electric Cigarettes

As with any new technologies or ideas, myths get started out of fear or misinformation. E-cigarettes are no different. Not only do they use a novel technology that delivers nicotine to whoever uses it, e-cigarettes also strongly challenge traditional cigarettes, a multi-billion dollar a year industry.

Therefore, it's no surprise myths get started to divert people from exploring the idea of electric smoking.

Continue reading for 7 common myths surrounding electric cigarettes and the real truth about the alternatives electric cigarettes can provide smokers.

Myth #1 – No one knows what's in an electric cigarette so they must be dangerous

In fact, there have been numerous studies around the world to identify the ingredients in an electric cigarette, many of which are common substances found in a wide variety of everyday things from foods to asthma inhalers and fog machines. Regular cigarettes on the other hand contain over 4,000 ingredients including arsenic, carbon monoxide and many other cancer causing substances.

Myth #2 – Electric cigarette juice cartridges come in various flavors to attract teenage users

Many other products intended for adults only come in different flavors. We all have our own unique tastes. It's wrong to suggest flavors and colors were designed with intentional purpose of marketing them to kids. Many smoking cessation products like gums and lozenges come in different flavors too and are more widely available than electric cigarettes.

Myth #3 – Electric cigarettes are being sold to kids

Like most other electric cigarette stores, Modern Vapor only sells to persons over 18 years of age. Before any transaction can be completed, we require all customers place a check mark indicating they have reviewed our Terms and Conditions, which state : MINORS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 OR UNDER THE STATE DETERMINED LEGAL AGE TO PURCHASE TOBACCO CIGARETTES ARE PROHIBITED FROM PURCHASING THIS PRODUCT.

Also, recent studies indicate the average age of an electric cigarette consumer is 44. And since it costs $100 just to get started, it's not something most kids would be able to do without parental consent anyway.

Myth #4 – Electric cigarette companies market nicotine to non-smokers

Electric cigarette manufacturers and retailers only market their products to current smokers. Besides, nicotine is widely available in many over-the-counter products like gums, lozenges, cigarettes, cigars, snuff, leaf tobacco and more. Industry studies conclude 96% of electric cigarette customers are current smokers looking for an alternative while the remaining 4% are buying one for a friend or family member.

Myth #5 – You cannot legally market electric cigarettes in the U.S.

A patently obvious myth…it's currently legal in the United States to market and purchase electric cigarettes. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not issued any formal guidance on electric cigarettes. Currently, the FDA can only regulate drugs and medical devices – electric cigarettes do not fall into either category.

Myth #6 – If you can stop people from smoking then why give them an alternative?

You can't stop people from themselves…there will always be people who crave nicotine. Smoking rates increased for the first time in 43 years in 2008 despite anti-smoking campaigns and a multi-million dollar smoking cessation industry. Some people are going to smoke, there's no question about that. The best that can be done is to provide them with alternatives that are not as harmful.

Myth #7 – Nicotine is bad for you

Since nicotine has been attached to regular cigarettes, it has gotten the reputation that it must be bad. On its own though, nicotine does not promote the development of cancer in healthy tissue according to studies. The Royal College of Physicians in London says there are no grounds to assert straight nicotine has long-term health effects. Electric cigarette companies who use proper labeling state who the product is and isn't for as well as the addictive properties of nicotine.

These are just a few of the common myths surrounding electric cigarettes you may encounter. Remember, many of these get started to discourage people from buying electric cigarettes. Do your own research and make up your own mind. While nicotine is addictive, electric cigarettes do provide a safer alternative for those who smoke traditional cigarettes.

Take a look at our selection of electric cigarettes today to learn more about how our products can revolutionize how you view smoking.